The CCA@ just released an update...you'll need to cut & paste the following address:
http://www.china-ccaa.org/site/infocontent/XWDT_20091223105045203_en.htm
While I do understand the CCA@'s concerns...I do find this very ironic too. This is the same agency that allows its country's orphans to reside in less than livable conditions and SOME of those SW1s have been upgraded...but from monies from outside sources. Many of you are very familiar with these very charitable organizations in which I mentioned.
This is also the same agency that proudly announces how they are doing everything they can for THE CHILDREN. Well, I would like to differ. In my 2nd adoption from Ch1na, Maddie's information was very off from the child I received. If I had been made aware of all of her problems, I can assure you that I would have denied the referr@l and she would have been matched with someone(s) who could have dealt with her difficulties better than I ever can. Many of you are unaware of her problems...and I will not go into them for the general public...those that are close to this family are already well aware of what we have been through and continue to go thru and those are the people that are the ones that are in the need to know.
But I will share some lovely tidbits about her "loving" foster family...she was placed with them at age 1 and lived with them until I adopted her at age 7. Six years she lived with this "loving" family...and because of them, I have the child I have today. What did they do??? Well, they gave her routine beatings and they starved her! Yes, at age 7, Maddie only weighed 36 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, tell me, if you unite with a child at age 7 and you can COUNT EVERY RIB on her body and she looks like she's a 4 year old because of her small stature (remember, I'm used to Ch1nese children and know that they are smaller than American children)...wouldn't you think she was MALNOURISHED more than usual???
So, I had the "blessing" of meeting her foster family...at the time, I thought it was a wonderful thing...they even made me a beautiful lunch and offered me wine! But through the months of living with Maddie and learning what her life was like with them, I now know she wasn't in the best of care. There were 3 other babies living with her in this family's home...and all 3 babies were VERY WELL NOURISHED. I wondered why they were such fat little babies and she was sooooo skinny...but I, myself, was in a daze during our time in Ch1na.
Well, Maddie has revealed to me and my family that she was starved and beaten regularly...reason??? "Maddie bad girl." "Maddie no smart."
So, before Ch1na starts throwing accusations at adoptive families, I take issue with them! They need to look at how they treat their own orphaned children (many of them thrown away)...I understand the reasoning on why this practice is done...I'm not condemning them as a society for doing what they feel has to be done...my issue is with HOW they treat the children once they are in possession of them!
There are reports after reports from adoptive parents relating similar stories of abuse from children they have adopted from Ch1na (and other countries). Many of these children are older children that have been adopted...and they have lived through many harsh years...being physically & emotionally/mentally & sexually abused. Yes, this abuse is global. It happens everyday in every walk of life. My issue is that Ch1na is acting holier than thou and not addressing the issues of abuse that's occurring right under their noses!!!!
Why brush the abuse under the table?!?!? Address it and punish the abusers! Don't lie on the children's referr@l info. This only increases the chance the child will be matched with parents that may not be able to handle their child's problems. Disruptions occur because of the inability of the parents to handle the child's problems!
So, for me, I'm dealing with Maddie's problems the best I can...I'm hounding the local school system for help (reason I'm going to be moving into another school system), have sought out a private evaluation that wasn't covered by insurance and work with her on an everyday basis. I do the best that I can...I am far from perfect. But we are together as a family and I will do what I can to help her...and pray one day she understands WHY I fought so hard with her to LEARN to read.
My agency was not the agency involved in the reason for this update (a child was sexually abused by her adoptive father)...but I chose to write a letter to my agency to let them know my views anyway.
Please understand that this is MY OPINION and ONLY MY OPINION...I do not welcome any flames. You are entitled to your own opinion as well. Please state your opinion on a different site than my blog. Thank you for your kind consideration and understanding.
5 years ago







3 comments:
I didn't click on your link, but I'm assuming it is the memo where CCAA has asked agencies to check in with ALL previous adopters on the health & well being of their children.
I wondered how they proposed to do that. Many agencies are no longer in existence. Once you hand in that final post placement report, there isn't any obligation to continue contact, on either side.
I think if agencies & SW have done their job, & we all know some people will fall through the cracks & somethings will just change, then that should just be it.
I'm sort of offended by these statements by CCAA. Not because I have anything to hide, but because I satisfied my obligations to China years ago. It's up to the system (school, peds, neighbors..ect..) to keep these children safe, just like any other child, adopted or not.
Well said. I posted about this too. I just feel too strongly not to say something. I HAD to. I'm glad we emailed our agency too. Even though we will not hear back, we were at least heard. Shame on them and shame on the CCA@.
I agree so strongly with you. The person(s) who were responsible for this horrendous act are being dealt with.
Your girls are adorable. As a mom to a little girl from Chia, who would have loved to bring home one more, and being too single, too old and probably not thin enough, this is not going to happen, I ache for those who are left to languish either in substandard orphanges or in fostercare where they are not monitored.
I hold my Kate tightly everynight and am so thankful that I was able to bring her home. At 3.3 yrs old and never have been given anything solid to eat I know that eventually she would have lost so much in development.
Keep strong, you are your Maddies strongest advocate.
Susan and Kate
Riverview FL
Post a Comment