8/25/09

What a small world...

So, tonight was the 1st night of dance class. During Mad's jazz time, a new Mom came w/ her daughter...well, we started talking. OK. I was NOSEY. She is Asian...so I asked! I asked her what nationality she is...and she said South Korean!!! I about jumped for joy and said: I'M HALF KOREAN! The look of confusion and then WOW came across her face. We talked briefly about her being ADOPTED from Korea as a baby!!! And my 2 girls being adopted from China...and how we both would love to go to Korea one day.

This was her daughter's FIRST dance class ever...cause she has Autism!!! The mom was a little emotional...and it was HOT in the lobby. Her daughter participated A LITTLE...sat out most of the time BUT WATCHED everything.

So, another mom was listening to us...and one thing led to another...and I mentioned how I'm taking Maddie to the neurodevelopmental therapy clinic in TX end of Sept. She was curious about the therapy and was wondering if it could help her daughter...and I said I'd loan her the DVD I finished watching...and how it's about rewiring the brain thru 2 minute exercises. She said her daughter never crawled. They knew something was wrong when she was 8 mos old. Her daughter is bio too.

Then Mom said that last yr the daughter didn't talk to the teacher for the 1st 2 mos!!! It's about her comfort level. When she's comfortable, then she will join in. Ms. Becky was amazing w/ her daughter...didn't force her...let her dance and when she didn't want to anymore, let her quietly sit along the wall and on the couch. I told the Mom about how this was my 3rd yr and I just absolutely LOVE Ms. Becky!!! She almost cried. She said Ms. Becky was the ONLY teacher to accept her daughter!

Ms. Becky doesn't discriminate on fat/thin, coordinated or not, mental capabilities. I didn't tell the mom about all that...just that Ms. Becky is AWESOME with the kids and I have no idea how she's able to do what she does...I even told her how she allowed me to sit along the wall the 1st 3 classes with G...and she almost cried again.

Oh! We have several kids that wear hearing aids too!!! 1 child is allergic to everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING. Poor kid! She's cute as a button too...can't even wash her hair cause the lathering agent used in shampoos breaks her out in a full body rash...and Ms. Becky will make sure on party days to have stuff that she can eat too. I'm telling you, Ms. Becky is to die for wonderful!!!

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Cool dance teacher. You have everything by you. I need to move closer to you : )

Ash said...

oh, I cried too, I love Miss Becky and have never met her! Thanks for the post. I am a little emotional too. LOL\ash

Deb - said...

I want Taylor to take dance with Miss Becky! great life opportunity, your girls will learn from this woman more than just dance I'm guessing

Twice Blessed China Mom said...

I'd love to know more about the neuro-reorganization evaluation. My younger daughter will be evaluated in November. What is the CD that you watched? I wondering if it would help me prepare. Thanks for posting the info!
Jeana

Robyn said...

Jeana- a wonderful friend of mine that lives near me took her daughter to the same place in TX and she told me about this place: http://www.littlegiantsteps.com/index.php

here's the dvd info:
http://www.littlegiantsteps.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1130&cat=77&page=2

It's 2.5 hrs long but I was hooked! I was folding clothes while watching it and often found myself NOT FOLDING because I was too enthralled w/ what she was saying. She was talking about MADDIE! I felt a peace come over me that there WAS help...and I was going to get it no matter what! Sept 29th can't come soon enough for me.